Re: MIDI Configuration of Ploytec MIDI<->USB Device

Hello Clemens,

it seems that I am wrong on this list.

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 10:22 +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > localhost ~ # amidi -l
> > Dir Device    Name
> > IO  hw:3,0,0  Ploytec MIDI Cable MIDI 1
> > IO  hw:4,0,0  Ploytec MIDI Cable MIDI 1
>
> Both devices claim to have both an input and an output port.
>
> Why do you think there is no output?

I am really able to configure both devices as output devices. I am
configuring Linux stuff every day on the command line but this MIDI
stuff is new to me.

My setup is: Gentoo Linux, ALSA, Jack, QjackCtl and some sequencer
application like energyXT. I am configuring everything by clicking some
object and moving it in QjackCtl. I buyed energyXT because I thought it
will do the work. I was wrong. I have tried Rosegarden and Qtractor and
there everything works fine. Both programs are registering the devices
and they could be connected like I want it. In energyXT both MIDI
devices are shown as input devices and are not configurable. In QjackCtl
no possibility shows up to configure this. It seems energyXT is not able
to handle this... :(

If I am (now) are right, applications are registering some "virtual"
MIDI device which could be connected to "real" devices? Then energyXT is
my problem. It does not do that...

But if energyXT is using ALSA for this stuff, is there a way around? Am
I am doing something wrong?

Regards,
Johannes