Re: [new babe questions] alsa based data acquisition system

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, J. Pauli wrote:

>> Thanks Unruh. superb explanation. Now I started to analyse things with
>> specification. I shall update regarding  this and share my experience.
>
> Hi,
>
> with certain restrictions it is possible to do what you are asking
> because an analog soundcard is just a bunch of DACs and ADCs. Depending
> on the quality of your soundcard, you can sample data with up to 96KHz
> (or even 192KHz for very expensive cards). I once used a Creative Audigy

Agreed, that with expensive cards you can get up to frequencies of 40 to
80KHz. They all have hard falloffs to prevent aliasing however. I do not know
where they put that falloff even for the expensice cards. In may ways it is
silly to put the falloff much above 20KHz since the ear ( which is what sound
cards are all about) cannot hear above that.

> 2 to capture data from my amplifier (keys pressed on the remote
> control). The source code is still available at
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/prc but it is only a quick hack and didn't
> work well with other (cheaper) cards but I think this was the fault of
> the processing (not the recording) part of the program.

Did you use alsa or oss? I did a sound card testing routine using oss, but
since he wants to use alsa I did not suggest that.
Note that there a number of opensource oscilliscope programs out there which
do exactly what he wants I think. He could use the info in those to figure out
how to extract the signal from the sound card.