Re: [new babe questions] alsa based data acquisition system

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Sathishkumar Duraisamy wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to the list and to the alsa library. In my application, I have to
> collect data from outside world in the form of voltage, and then plot. I
> have done the plotting and GUI parts of the application. Now I have to use
> an ADC to collect the data.
>
> My question: Is it possible to use the ADC of audio input and alsa lib to
> get the sample from the outside world. Have anyone tried like this. If it so
> can you please guide me how I can get started?

Sure. Just use the source code for arecord as a sample.
But there are some limitations. Almost all audio cards do not go down to DC
intpu level but have a low frequency cutoff of about 10Hz. Thus if your
project requires low frequency levels, you are out of luck.
Also most sound cards have a pretty hard cutoff about about 20KHz since this
is the highest sound humans can hear and corresponds to the upper
frequencymeasurable by a 44.1 frequncy card. If you allow in higher
frequencies you get distortion int hat the high frequencies are floded over
into the low frequency band. The tird problem is normaisation-- ie you really
have to put in a test signal of a known voltage to calibrate your card's
amplitude -voltage characteristic.