Re: W500 Thinkpad config problems

Dear Wade,

Am Mittwoch, den 20.10.2010, 21:37 -0700 schrieb Wade Curry:

> Sound on my Thinkpad /mostly/ works.  I have used what I can find
> via Google to get it limping along, but much of that info is dated,
> incomplete, or addresses problems that aren't really the same as
> what I see here.
>
> I am running Gentoo/Funtoo with the 2.6.35 kernel.  I have
> installed the tp_smapi package, which contains the hdaps and
> thinkpad_ec modules (the in-kernel options are not used at all
> because they don't work, or don't work well).
>
> The channels I see in alsamixer (all channaels) are:
>  ---------
>  HDA Intel
>  Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)
>  ---------
>   Master (Normal)
>   PCM (Volume, but no mute control)
>   S/PDIF (mute ctl present, but no volume control)
>   S/PDIF Default PCM  (mute present, but no volume control)
>   Ditital (Volume, but no mute control)
>   Docking Mic (Normal)
>   Docking Mic (Volume, but no mute control)
>   External Mic (Normal)
>   External Mic (Volume, but no mute control)
>   Internal Mic (Normal)
>   Internal Mic (Volume, but no mute control)
>

>  ---------
>  ThinkPad Console Audio Control
>  ThinkPad EC 7VHT12WW-1.01
>  ---------
>   Console (Normal)
>

> By "Normal" I mean both volume and mute controls are present.
>
> Now, I don't use a dock at all, so I don't know what it's detecting
> there.  And, I have no mic except the built-in one.  Furthermore, I
> don't really understand the purpose of the S/PDIF channels, or the
> Digital channel.  The ThinkPad Console control can be changed
> volume-wise without any discernible change to the sound, but muting
> it stops sound from ogg123, for example.

so what is your biggest problem? The missing mute controls?

Your post is missing a lot of information. Please attach the output of
`alsa-info.sh` [1]. [1] also describes some ways how to debug HDA
problems.

I also recommend you to post to alsa-devel [2] since in my experience it
is more likely you will get an answer there. Also maybe just post a
message for each problem with a descriptive subject line and wait with
the next problem until the first one is resolved, so people can answer
it in less time.

> Finally, none of this is connected to the mute and volume buttons
> on the keyboard. I presume this last item isn't ALSA related.  But,
> maybe a ThinkPad user will have advice.  I don't use Gnome, or
> KDE.  I often use only the VTs, so the information I've found
> online that discuss using X11 to map button events doesn't really
> answer my problem adequately.

Sorry I do not know about that.

> When I get this figured out, I can then see about getting this
> bluetooth headset/mic working for voip.

I would recommend PulseAudio, but I do not know how to set it up without
X11.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug