Audio digital out problem on my Myth box

I have a MythTV HPTC which uses Audigy 2 ZS (emu10k1 card) for sound.
I use only digital output, connected via coax cable to the receiver.
The OS is Centos5.

There are two ways I can produce sound: use "spdif" output device or
"phughw:0,4". Most applications work either way, for some reason
plughw is consistently a bit louder.

There are two differences, and one strange "interaction":

1) Some games under Wine will not work if I set spdif as default
device in .asoundrc. The error message I get is "unknown pcm spdif",
and there is no sound. Some, not all: winecfg sound test works just
fine. Torchlight is an example of what does not work.

2) The same games work fine if I set default to plughw:0,4 in
.asoundrc. But digital audio passthrough in mplayer (-ac hwac3) does
not work on plughw. The error message I get in mplayer is "unknown
parameter AES0=6".

3) hwac3 does work on spdif, *until* I run one of these Wine games
which require plughw. After that, sending AC3 to spdif produces
clicking noise, and an error message from mplayer about "ac3be not
supported by hardware".

Nothing changes in software or alsa settings, it is pretty clear that
there is some change in the state of the sound card which makes hwac3
not work. I used iecset to check the state of the sound card. I can
see that EAS0 changes from 6 to 4, but I can reverse this change using
"iecset audio off", and hwac3 still produces only clicking. I have
asound.state stored away from the time when hwac3 worked, and I can
"alsactl restore" it, but it does not help.

Clearly there is some state in the sound card which affects whether
hwac3 produces sound or noise, but I can't find it. Anyone knows what
that is?

--
Fedor G Pikus (fpikus@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.pikus.net