W500 Thinkpad config problems

Hello,

Sound on my Thinkpad /mostly/ works.  I have used what I can find
via Google to get it limping along, but much of that info is dated,
incomplete, or addresses problems that aren't really the same as
what I see here.

I am running Gentoo/Funtoo with the 2.6.35 kernel.  I have
installed the tp_smapi package, which contains the hdaps and
thinkpad_ec modules (the in-kernel options are not used at all
because they don't work, or don't work well).

The channels I see in alsamixer (all channaels) are:
 ---------
 HDA Intel
 Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)
 ---------
  Master (Normal)
  PCM (Volume, but no mute control)
  S/PDIF (mute ctl present, but no volume control)
  S/PDIF Default PCM  (mute present, but no volume control)
  Ditital (Volume, but no mute control)
  Docking Mic (Normal)
  Docking Mic (Volume, but no mute control)
  External Mic (Normal)
  External Mic (Volume, but no mute control)
  Internal Mic (Normal)
  Internal Mic (Volume, but no mute control)

 ---------
 ThinkPad Console Audio Control
 ThinkPad EC 7VHT12WW-1.01
 ---------
  Console (Normal)

By "Normal" I mean both volume and mute controls are present.

Now, I don't use a dock at all, so I don't know what it's detecting
there.  And, I have no mic except the built-in one.  Furthermore, I
don't really understand the purpose of the S/PDIF channels, or the
Digital channel.  The ThinkPad Console control can be changed
volume-wise without any discernible change to the sound, but muting
it stops sound from ogg123, for example.

Finally, none of this is connected to the mute and volume buttons
on the keyboard. I presume this last item isn't ALSA related.  But,
maybe a ThinkPad user will have advice.  I don't use Gnome, or
KDE.  I often use only the VTs, so the information I've found
online that discuss using X11 to map button events doesn't really
answer my problem adequately.

When I get this figured out, I can then see about getting this
bluetooth headset/mic working for voip.

Best regards,
Wade Curry
syntaxman - irc:freenode