Re: Input device captures output (fwd)

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Warren Dumortier <nwarrenfl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been testing again and found some interresting fact.
> When i only plug-in my microphone it works as it should even if music is
> being played, but whenever i plug-in speakers, then the problem occurs.
> This lets me thing again it's a software related issue, but i don't know
> why...

Again, perhaps I'm oversimplifying... but if you plugin speakers then
your microphone is probably able to pickup their output, or a
reflection of it, and transmit it back.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Warren Dumortier <nwarrenfl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for answering, i keep testing solutions and your propositions and
> it's getting me sick...
> Would using a USB headset fix the problem?

Yes. For $10-$30.00 you can probably find a headset that does standard
usb sound and would work easily and reliably. I've used "Logitech
ClearChat Comfort USB"
(http://www.google.com/products/catalog?cid=3844041679359977382 ) for
a few years with skype and for other purposes and it's been solid. The
volume control on the cord controls the headset volume directly
through kmix, putting up a nice volume-bar just like you'd see in
Windows (I use KDE desktop, kmix provides the volume control widget on
the taskbar). And it has a microphone cutoff switch on the same
control, with a red led that flashes when it's muted.

I assume you want to get google talk running?

After plugging in such a Headset and logging in to the desktop, follow
my instructions about "wrappering" GoogleTalkPlugin  as a script that
sets special ALSA environment vars then calls GoogleTalkPlugin-bin.
This enables the headset to be accessed directly via the plugin's
auxiliary program, leaving your standard "default" device available
for browser/flash/java to use via dmix, pulseaudio, etc:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.audio.users/67117

It is working very well, IMHO. There is some clicking and low-level
noise audible on the landline receiving the call from google-voice,
and the landline caller also noticed some echo of their own voice
despite the low potential for sound bleed-through from the headphone
to microphone. I've recorded this and did hear the clicking and noise,
which doesn't emanate from the headset->USB->ALSA part, leaving me to
think there might be some issues with GoogleTalkPlugin or the google
network. Either that, or they've taken that the standard level of
"switching noise" sometimes heard on long distance phone calls is
acceptable call quality level for their system. Given the cost -- free
-- and the fact that it gives me free calls throughout the continental
US, I'm not complaining....

However if the call quality is so bad that you do want to complain,
this may be the best place:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/chat/label?lid=18819d87e4369fa5

-- Niels.
http://nielsmayer.com