Re: Asus Xonar D2

Ha ha ha ha....

I see your point :)

Anyway, for anyone that might be reading this in the future, i confirm that analog input monitoring does not work either (tried everything humanly possible, via alsamixer). So, despite the fact that the audio coming out from this card is more than decent, it can not really be used outside the context of multimedia fun or internet telephony.

Of course, i will take the opportunity to congratulate Clemens for his fine work on the drivers.
I wish you could invest your time in more serious and still inexpensive hardware (such as the Deltas of M-Audio).

Kind Regards

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Panos Katergiathis wrote:
> But i fail to understand if this is related to the specific card only. In
> the past and M-Audio Delta 66 was doing this (that is, monitor either the
> analog or digital inputs in real time), and also a Lynx L22 was doing it
> (via OSS).

Most (semi-)professional cards support monitoring from any input to any
output.

Onboard and gaming sound cards are designed for a different set of
features.

> Should i accept that the manufacturers of this specific card never
> thought that one would need to actually monitor the inputs?

The Xonar D2 _does_ support monitoring, and there is a high probability
that the default monitoring output (analog) also goes to the digital
output.  Just try it out.  (If your mixer doesn't show the monitoring
controls, try alsamixer.)

> After all, what are inputs for?

For recording from another device, or internet telephony.
Okay, the inputs on _this_ card are just there for the colorful LEDs. :)

Regards,
Clemens