Intel X58-Mainboard: Realtek ALC889

Hi all,

I have a new Mainboard with intel x58 Chipset. The HD-Audio is a Realtek ALC889. ALSA was set up to use driver snd-hda-intel. No further parameter (as model) was set. 2.0 and 4.0 seems to work quite OK, but I am having troubles using my headphones, esp. Mic.
The mic is boosted and unmuted, but the sound I get from the mic is very quiet, low frequency and distorted. Tested with Audacity, KRecord, Skype and TS3 under openSuse 11.2 64bit.
I went into yast, configured the soundcard and added a model name. the only two model names I found to refer to either chipset or sound-chip are
- intel-x58
- intel-acl889a

None of them works. Sometimes they seem able to get some noise out, but the mic is mute for both - even with the mixer setting being unmute. I tested different devices with the above mentioned apps, but all was dead.

But then I went back into yast, removed the model name and saved the changes. The soundsystem was restarted and - voila - crystal clear sound from the mic. Reasonably volume and no distortion.

BUT: This is only valid until the next reboot. Then everything starts all over: Mic is of bad quality - change yast - mic mute - back to no model - perfect.

My question: Is there a known issue with alc889 under suse 11.2/64? How can I get the system to start up with a good mic right away? Do I have to specify a different model?

Kind regards,
Martin Soltau