Re: Asus Xonar D2

Thank you for your reply.

I was about to ask if i can (at least) monitor the analog line-in input via the spdif output, while listening to any streams from the computer... then i noticed that "There is no plugin that allows to also open a capture device when an application accesses a playback device".

But i fail to understand if this is related to the specific card only. In the past and M-Audio Delta 66 was doing this (that is, monitor either the analog or digital inputs in real time), and also a Lynx L22 was doing it (via OSS). Should i accept that the manufacturers of this specific card never thought that one would need to actually monitor the inputs? After all, what are inputs for?

Please clarify

Panos

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Panos Katergiathis wrote:
> However, i need to be able to mix the spdif-in signal to the spdif-out
> signal, in order to monitor an external audio device while (at the same
> time) listening to any sounds the computer makes.

The digital "Loopback" control routes the S/PDIF input to the S/PDIF
output, but this won't allow any sounds from the computer to get
through.

The "Digital Input Monitor" control allows you to mix the S/PDIF input
into the sound going to the analog front outputs.  In theory, the front
outputs are duplicated to the digital output as long as there isn't a
separate stream being played on the digital output device, so this
might be what you want (but I'm not sure if this duplication also
applies to the monitored sound).

> i came to the (temporary) conclusion that suchj an effect is possible
> with the proper .asoundrc file.

There is no plugin that allows to also open a capture device when an
application accesses a playback device.

HTH
Clemens