Re: [VT1708S] Surround sound not working

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Viliam Kubis <viliam.kubis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a PC with an ASUS M4A78-AM motherboard with integrated VT1708S
Hello, I have not the same MB, but the Asus M4A785TD-V EVO.
It has the VT1708S too.
I have both F11 and F12 x86_64 installed.
My speaker set has not separate speaker connections, but has three
kind of  connections: line, coaxial and optical.
My mb has an optical out so that when I have to play surraund (ac3) or
dts I can use optical.
Instead for normal operation I have also connected the black jack
(Rear Speaker Out port) to the line plug to the speaker set.

So for normal stereo audio I switch the speaker set to line, while for
surround/dts I use the optical.
And they are working perfectly (at least in F12; in F11 no optical)

For the line connection I have:

speaker set two connectors ----  two cables---- adapter (from two coax
-> one jack) --inside-- black plug on the mb.

[gcecchi@tekkaman ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[gcecchi@tekkaman ~]$ aplay -L
default
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
    HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Do your mb has optical and/or your speaker set?