[VT1708S] Surround sound not working

Hello,

I have a PC with an ASUS M4A78-AM motherboard with integrated VT1708S
6-channel sound chip in it. However, I can't get the surround sound
working. The motherboard has 3 jacks on it - green for front / 2 speaker
set; blue is the line in or the rear-speaker out in 4.1 configuration, and
pink is the microphone or side speaker out in the 6-spk configuration.

My speaker configuration is 4.1 [2 front, 2 back and subwoofer]. Line in
does not produce any sound.

Speakers are connected properly. I have tried all possible configurations
of alsamixer and the rear speakers connected to either the blue or pink
jack, but it just doesn't work.

I have also tried many configurations in /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc.
In alsamixer, there is a control named "smart 5.1", turning it on or off
does not change anything. I have tried aplay to play some wav file using
-Dsurround40, but it does not work:

Playing raw data 'stdin' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:990: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- S16_LE
- S32_LE
[kbs1@localhost ~]$ aplay -L
null
default:CARD=SB
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Analog
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
     HDA ATI SB, VT1708S Digital
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
[kbs1@localhost ~]$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
   Subdevices: 2/2
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

*****alsa-info*****
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3b5a5666691af5c69bedda9ea8836844c0d0b693

I am using alsa 1.0.22.1. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled
pulseaudio sound server, so that it is not the default one and I get all
the controls in alsamixer (not just "volume" control). Surround sound did
not work out-of-the-box on fedora 12, and I never got it to work. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Viliam Kubis