Messed up ALSA install on Debian Lenny

Hi gang,
I kind of got goofy and installed pulseaudio on my alsa, I never got pulseaudio to work, removed it and now alsa does not work. It's utils seem to keep refering to pulseaudio stuff. Here is a snip of what happens after running alsaconf:

begin
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-hda-intel snd-pcm snd-seq snd-timer snd
-seq-device snd-page-alloc.
Building card database...

Setting default volumes...
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
amixer: Mixer attach default error: Connection refused

 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.
 Have a lot of fun!

jefm@ascension:~$ aplay
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
aplay: main:564: audio open error: Connection refused
jefm@ascension:~$ alsamixer
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused
jefm@ascension:~$
end

Any suggestions what to do? For some more background on the problem here a thread I started on linuxquestions.com:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/installedremoved-pulseaudio-lost-alsa-780979/

Thanks for any and all help,
jefm