Re: [VT1708S] Surround sound not working

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Viliam Kubis <viliam.kubis@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> "Instead for normal operation I have also connected the black jack (Rear
>> Speaker Out port) to the line plug to the speaker set."
>> When you did this, did you get any sound at all? I do not have a black
>> port
>> on my motherboard. There are only three ports, which are supposed to
>> "switch" depending on what you connect to them.
>
> Yes, I get sound.
> I have 6 plugs + optical on mine.
> I suppose your speaker set has connectors to the subwoofer unit and
> you have connected your plugs this way:
>
> 2xrear subwoofer to blue connector (via rgb to jack adapter)
> 2xfront subwoofer to green connector (via rgb to jack adapter)
> 1x bass to pink connector

YES, that's exactly how my speakers are connected, except there is no bass
connector. There are 2 jacks that go to the subwoofer, MB green -> SW
green and MB blue -> SW black (rear speakers in). There are no more
in-ports on the subwoofer.

> And also you unmuted all the items in alsamixer for front/rear, ecc

Yes, it's all unmuted and on maximum levels. Smart 5.1 is turned on at the
moment.

> If with this configuration you try something like this:
>
> aplay -D surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0 filename.wav
>
> do you get anything?

Unfortunately no :( I have tried the following commands:

[kbs1@localhost new3]$ aplay -Dsurround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0 a.wav
Playing WAVE 'a.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:968: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available
[kbs1@localhost new3]$ aplay -Dsurround41 a.wav
Playing WAVE 'a.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:968: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available
[kbs1@localhost new3]$ aplay -Dsurround40 a.wav
Playing WAVE 'a.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
[kbs1@localhost new3]$

Only the last command played the wav file successfully, however only from
front speakers. Rear speakers absulutely silent.

Driver is intel hda for the information. Maybe this command output will be
useful:

[kbs1@localhost ~]$ lsmod | grep hda
snd_hda_codec_via      58256  1
snd_hda_intel          29024  3
snd_hda_codec          79520  2 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               9384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                79400  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd                    64904  13
snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc         10000  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
[kbs1@localhost ~]$

Maybe it's a problem with the driver not detecting the 3 jacks on the mobo
correctly? Alsa-drivers is the newest version, 1.0.22.1.