Re: asoundrc softvol not working

Le Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:25:59 +0200,
Iwan Ferreira <iwanferreira@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm trying to add a softvol control to act as a master control for all the
> > channels on my sound card. I have a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard.
> > ALSAMIXER shows PCM, center, LFE, rear and side mixers, but no master mixer
> > to control all the channels. I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.04 which uses
> > the Pulse Audio sound server by default.

Same problem here with a M-Audio Audiophile 192, no master control, only a PCM
control.

Some programs get confused with it because they want to talk to a Master
control. I don't use pulseaudio so I cannot help you directly.

That said, some programs (I guess the gnome ones) are using it as default sound
server. I configured my system to run jack by default. My .asoundrc is as
follow:

# convert alsa API over jack API
# use it with
# % aplay foo.wav
# use this as default
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }
}
# pcm type jack
pcm.jackplug{
    type plug
    slave {pcm "jack"}
}

pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
	0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
	1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
	}
    capture_ports {
	0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
	1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
	}
}

# oss will use the alsa to jack API by default
# test it with
# % aoss mpg123 some.mp3
pcm.dsp pcm.!default

After stating jackd with qjackctl, all the alsa and oss programs are routed to
jack. I am not sure if the oss part of my .asoundrc is still needed with recent
alsa and jack versions. Even flash+firefox is working fine with jack without
to have to run it with "aoss firefox", "firefox" is enough now, it changed a
few months ago after a system update. But maybe that is flash that have been
improved, I don't know for sure.

The programs using pulseaudio are working with this config and the default
pulseaudio config of my distribution (gentoo). I can see sometime in htop than
pulseaudio is running.

Dominique

--
If this message is send to an email list, please make sure to answer onto the
list, or you will be ignored.

"We have the heroes we deserve."