Re: asoundrc softvol not working

Hi!

I'm trying to add a softvol control to act as a master control for all the channels on my sound card. I have a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard. ALSAMIXER shows PCM, center, LFE, rear and side mixers, but no master mixer to control all the channels. I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.04 which uses the Pulse Audio sound server by default.

In my pulseaudio /etc/pulse/default.pa file I added the following:
load-module module-alsa-sink device="surround71" channels=8 sink_name=sur71
This allowed me to have output on all the channels from all the players I use (Rhythmbox, Mplayer...) so I have no ALSA config to upmix stereo or 5.1 to 7.1.

Im my .asoundrc file in my home directory I put the following:
pcm.!default {

    type plug

    playback.pcm "softvol"

}
pcm.!surround71 {

    type plug

    slave.pcm "softvol"

}
pcm.softvol {

    type softvol

    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"

    control {

        name "SoftMaster"

        card 0

    }

}

This adds the "SoftMaster" mixer control to the ALSA mixer, but it is not working as expected. In both Mplayer and Rythmbox the movie/music is started but only plays for a few seconds and then stops. I also noticed that the timer in both these applications do not start, it stays at 00:00. If I change the volume on the SoftMaster mixer while the sound is playing it does work on all channels.

If I test the softvol mixer with speaker-test it works fine. If I remove the pcm.!surround71 from the asoundrc file everything works as before and the softvol mixer does nothing.

What am I missing? Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you in advance!
Iwan