Re: Multiple cards, alphanumeric names?

Thank you very much, Clemens.  That is much help.  I am working on some practical docs at http://linuxlive.joshuacorps.org , and alphanumeric names seem to come up a lot as a help.

J.E.B.

"Jonathan E. Brickman" <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My next question:  What if I had two cards of this type?  Do
I have to use numeric names, or is there an alphanumeric rule built in
somewhere which gives me HD2(0) or some such?

The alphanumeric name to be used in device names is the card ID.
It is shown in [brackets] in /proc/asound/cards.

By default, the card ID is the last word of the card's name; if it is
not unique, ALSA changes it so that it is.

James Shatto wrote:

Basically hw:0,1 for capture device and hw:0,0 for playback.

No, playback and capture device names are independent.

hw:0,0 is the first (playback or capture) device on card 0; hw:0,1 is
the second (playback or capture) device on card 0.

You can give more meaningful names in your .asoundrc configuration.
But generally NOT HD#, that's a grub thing for Hard Drive.

The default ID for a card named "Audiotrak Prodigy HD2" _is_ "HD2".
This is perfectly valid, and has nothing to do with Grub.

-ao alsa:device=hw:2

mplayer's silly quoting/escaping rules require "-ao alsa:device=hw=2"
for this.

Best regards,
Clemens