Re: Multiple cards, alphanumeric names?

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:25:24 -0600
"Jonathan E. Brickman" <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK.  I now find myself happily educated in "card" names (HD2 in my
> case), "devices" as being items on cards (HD2,0 et cetera), and
> "subdevices" whose names appear to be used in rather different
> locations.  My next question:  What if I had two cards of this type?  Do
> I have to use numeric names, or is there an alphanumeric rule built in
> somewhere which gives me HD2(0) or some such?
>
> J.E.B.

I think that you're getting grub device names confused with alsa names.  Normally you can address them by hw:0 or hw:1 or hw:2.  Basically hw:0,1 for capture device and hw:0,0 for playback.  You can give more meaningful names in your .asoundrc configuration.  But generally NOT HD#, that's a grub thing for Hard Drive.  Although most alsa apps reference them by -c # where the # matches their designation in /proc/asound/cards.  Many apps that use alsa use something like -D hw:2 or -ao alsa:device=hw:2 and that is assuming that you don't want to just use the defaults.

HTH,
- James