Multiple cards, alphanumeric names?

OK.  I now find myself happily educated in "card" names (HD2 in my
case), "devices" as being items on cards (HD2,0 et cetera), and
"subdevices" whose names appear to be used in rather different
locations.  My next question:  What if I had two cards of this type?  Do
I have to use numeric names, or is there an alphanumeric rule built in
somewhere which gives me HD2(0) or some such?

J.E.B.