Re: Multiple cards, alphanumeric names?

> "Jonathan E. Brickman" <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My next question:  What if I had two cards of this type?  Do
> > I have to use numeric names, or is there an alphanumeric rule built in
> > somewhere which gives me HD2(0) or some such?

The alphanumeric name to be used in device names is the card ID.
It is shown in [brackets] in /proc/asound/cards.

By default, the card ID is the last word of the card's name; if it is
not unique, ALSA changes it so that it is.

James Shatto wrote:
> Basically hw:0,1 for capture device and hw:0,0 for playback.

No, playback and capture device names are independent.

hw:0,0 is the first (playback or capture) device on card 0; hw:0,1 is
the second (playback or capture) device on card 0.

> You can give more meaningful names in your .asoundrc configuration.
> But generally NOT HD#, that's a grub thing for Hard Drive.

The default ID for a card named "Audiotrak Prodigy HD2" _is_ "HD2".
This is perfectly valid, and has nothing to do with Grub.

> -ao alsa:device=hw:2

mplayer's silly quoting/escaping rules require "-ao alsa:device=hw=2"
for this.

Best regards,
Clemens