HDMI sound acting strange.

Hey all, I'm new to this mailing list, searched through the archives quickly and couldn't find anyone with the same problem as me so decided to sign up :).

Anyhow here goes:
I got myself a HDTV for usage as monitor and for sound, it's connected to my (nVidia GPU based) laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Xi 2528 should it be of interest).
Basically I started by selecting to selecting the IEC958 and IEC958 Default PCM switches and managed to generate sound however the sound kept breaking, like in the middle of a song the sound would just stop and I'd have to restart whatever I was listening to (on occation multiple times and not always getting it back).

After reading up on the article on digitalout at the unofficial wiki: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut#Set_your_default I set my default card to my digital output direcetly (0,1) and this resolved these issues however a new one arised. Basically the applications playing sounds lock the device meaning I can only ever have sound from one source simultaniously, this in itself is pretty annoying. What is more of an issue is the fact that I generally have to close these applications (not only stop the sound from playing) to be able to have another source play sound. For example if I have played a flash video then I will have to close down my browser to listen to something different. Not sure if it makes any difference or not but I am able to listen to multiple sounds generated by the same application, for instance the sounds of two flash videos will play simultaniously while a flash video and a file opened in mplayer won't both be allowed to play.

Some more info
Distro: Arch Linux, 32-bit
I've posted config files and output from the  "aplay -l" command here: http://pastebin.com/m1b888e6b

If I'd be able to get some help resolving this I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Xenio