Pulseaudio problem diagnosis

I want to cause a random alsa application to throw away all sound
output.  I'm suspecting that something about how the program is
communicating with pulseaudio is causing it to act weird and I want to
test this.

To this end I put this in my ~/.asoundrc file:

pcm.!default {
    type null
}
ctl.!default {
    type null
}

Why doesn't that work?

Thanks,
--
A word is nothing more or less than the series of historical
connotations given to it. That's HOW we derive meaning, and to claim