2 mics with hda_intel

Hello,
    I had troubles with turning off my internal mic on my HDA Intel card
(Dell Latitude E6500). I would expect that the internal mic turns off
hardware-wise once a connector is plugged into the external mic hole,
but this is not the case with the above mentioned Dell model.

So, finally I moved to ALSA 1.0.20 (both kernel drivers and debian
packages). My card is recognized as "dell-m4-1 (unknown Dell)", that's
why I also tried to specify other models with STAC92xx chipset. Examples
of alsa-info.sh output are given here:
http://www-ucjf.troja.mff.cuni.cz/~davidek/alsa_info_model_dell_m4_1
http://www-ucjf.troja.mff.cuni.cz/~davidek/alsa_info_model_dell_m6

I was surprised that some models recognized two switches digital/analog
I/mixer, while others only one. However, all investigated models
recognized two input sources with values Mic/Front Mic.

Finally it turns out that built-in microphone works will digital switch
set to "Digital", while external one with "Analog I", _regardless_ the
input source settings (Mic/Front Mic). Is that expected ?

I also don't know what the two sources mean, shall I better switch off
the second one? If so, how ? E.g. both DAC1=0 && Import1=0 && Capture1=0?

In fact I wonder what exactly these switches (Capture, DAC, Import) mean
and how they are related to individual components. Can you point to me
some docs for "dummies" ? This is the first time I had two mics in a
laptop....

Thanks a lot for any hint,

best regards
                  Tomas