Re: Trouble with microphone

I still have had no success with getting my microphone to work with my
sound card.  I've done a variety of things in trying to fix it, and had
no success.  Here are some of the things I tried:

1) Made modifications to modprobe.conf.

I've added all the aliases that Hal had sent me originally.  I also
played around with the configurations of the alsamixer by adding model=
to the following line within my modprobe.conf: (I believe this was the
line Bill was wanting from Hal)

options snd-ice1724 index=0 model=prodigy71hifi

I'm actually using two machines that have the ice1724 chipset, one that
is just using the chipset and another that is using it as a part of the
prodigy71 hifi card.   The one that just has the chipset does not let
add the model=.  If I do, it will no longer recognize the soundcard at
all.  The other has allowed me to change the configurations using the
model=. I've learned that the different models have different capture
devices as a part of their configurations.  The prodigy71hifi has Line
and CD but no Mic.  The prodigy71 has all 3.  The prodigy71hd2 has none
of the capture devices.  The prodigy192 also had none of the capture
devices but had a bunch DAC devices.  It appears that the prodigy71hd2
was the configuration I was seeing in my original e-mail.  Whether the
configuration of the alsamixer has a Mic or not in it's configuration,
the microphone still doesn't work.  A file is created, but when I play
it back it's just static.

2) Used alsa-driver 1.0.20 in place of 1.0.19.

This didn't seem to do anything different than 1.0.19.

3) Added audacity to the machine.

Line In worked with audacity, but microphone did not.

4) Loaded 4 different OSes in 4 different partitions to see if I could
get the soundcard to record on any of them.

The OSes included Vista, RHEL 5, openSuse, and ubuntu.  I had no success
with RHEL 5, opensuse, or ubuntu, but I successfully was able to record
with Vista.  So ... the hardware does appear to work, but it is just not
working with the alsa driver.

I'm starting to run out of ideas on things to try.  Hal, do you know
which card you were using when you got it to work?  Does anyone else
have an idea what could be the problem or a possible solution?  Thanks.

Lee