Re: Trouble with microphone

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 12:07:11 pm Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 May 2009 09:55:19 am Massie, Lee C. wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> I'm fairly new to ALSA and am trying to get the microphone to record
> >> audio.  When  I try to record, a wave file is created, but when I play
> >> it back, it produces no sound.  I've searched the web and most people
> >> who have had problem with the microphone have had problems, because the
> >> 'Mic' in the is muted.  When I open the alsamixer and look at the
> >> capture view, I don't even have 'Mic'.  The only thing that appears in
> >> my capture view is 'Multi Track Peak', which isn't even adjustable.

> >> the card that was configured.  Does that mean alsa will not work with my
> >> card with regards to microphone input?  Here are some notes about what
> >> I'm using:
> >>

> >> Card: ICEnsemble
> >>
> >> Chipset: ICE 1724 - multitrack
> >>
> >> Using Redhat 5, kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5PAE.
> >>
> >> Using alsa-driver-1.0.19.
> >>
> >> Configuring with command: ./configure --with-cards=ice1724
> >>

> >> Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.
> >>

> >> Lee
> >
> > I have an ICE 1724 card and my mic works.  But I set it up a long time
> > ago and I can't remember what I had to do in alsamixer to get it to work.
> >  I do remember that the names of the devices used in alsamixer were not
> > at all user friendly and there is no documentation that maps the names
> > used in alsamixer to anything that a user would be able to understand
> > without having to spend hours digging through various web sites to try to
> > understand what all of the technical jargon in the UI means.
>
> Tell him the contents of your /etc/modprobe.conf file. That is where the
> options for your card as stored.
>
> > Normally cards based on this chip set have two audio in channels but I am
> > not sure why these do not show in when using the Capture View in
> > alsamixer.  But with current versions of alsa they do not.    In addition
> > there is no way to set gain levels for these devices using alsamixer.
> >
> > Hal

Alsa related stuff from /etc/modprobe.conf

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
## alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
## alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss