Re: Trouble with microphone

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 09:55:19 am Massie, Lee C. wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm fairly new to ALSA and am trying to get the microphone to record
> audio.  When  I try to record, a wave file is created, but when I play
> it back, it produces no sound.  I've searched the web and most people
> who have had problem with the microphone have had problems, because the
> 'Mic' in the is muted.  When I open the alsamixer and look at the
> capture view, I don't even have 'Mic'.  The only thing that appears in
> my capture view is 'Multi Track Peak', which isn't even adjustable.
>
> >From everything I read online, what appears in the alsamixer is based on
>
> the card that was configured.  Does that mean alsa will not work with my
> card with regards to microphone input?  Here are some notes about what
> I'm using:
>

> Card: ICEnsemble
>
> Chipset: ICE 1724 - multitrack
>
> Using Redhat 5, kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5PAE.
>
> Using alsa-driver-1.0.19.
>
> Configuring with command: ./configure --with-cards=ice1724
>

> Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.
>

> Lee

I have an ICE 1724 card and my mic works.  But I set it up a long time ago and
I can't remember what I had to do in alsamixer to get it to work.  I do
remember that the names of the devices used in alsamixer were not at all user
friendly and there is no documentation that maps the names used in alsamixer
to anything that a user would be able to understand without having to spend
hours digging through various web sites to try to understand what all of the
technical jargon in the UI means.

Normally cards based on this chip set have two audio in channels but I am not
sure why these do not show in when using the Capture View in alsamixer.  But
with current versions of alsa they do not.    In addition there is no way to
set gain levels for these devices using alsamixer.

Hal