Re: Higher quality dmix resampling

On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:46:26 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm playing a video in miro and I get:
>
> # lsof|grep speex
> miro.real  9019     user  mem       REG                8,3    108992
> 28197654 /usr/lib64/libspeex.so.1.4.0
>
> Does this mean dmix is using speex?  If so, what else could be causing
> my static problem?  I basically hear static whenever dmix is involved.
>  If I have mpd resample with libsamplerate, I get no static.
>
> - Grant

Yes, you are using speex.

I suggest first of all to temporarily leave 'miro' aside - it's a
non-trivial piece of SW which might have its own quirks.

I suggest to start from very basic 'aplay' with .wav files - just to
make sure ALSA works OK.

Then, say, 'mplayer' with .flac, .mp3.

You can try to increase ALSA buffers size, but I do not remember how to
do this, though I remember it was easy.

Regards,
  Sergei.