Re: Musical Fidelity V-DAC, usb sound

On Wednesday 06 May 2009, Niels wrote:

> - This is with Kubuntu 9.04. For some reason it ships with ALSA 1.0.18rc3.
> Is it worth upgrading, and how would I do that, other that wait for an
> automatic update?

don't know wether it may be worth it. You may check for yourself. Plug in
your "vdac", open up a terminal and type in:

lsmod | grep snd

(as a normal user in Ubuntu you may not have /sbin & /usr/sbin in your
$PATH... in which case try typing /sbin/lsmod instead or use sudo).

That will give you a list of the audio-related kernel modules (~="drivers")

Check the changelogs on the alsa site: http://www.alsa-project.org

looking for the modules you are actually using. If there are some
significant changes than it may (or may not!) be worth upgrading,
otherwise... 8:-)

If you want to upgrade (don't, unless it's really needed) the cleanest
way to do it is as follows:

* download the latest alsa-source package from Debian Unstable ("Sid")
(or Experimental) repository;

* install the module sources using:

 dpkg -i alsa-source_<version>.deb

* build and install the modules using "module-assistant":

 sudo m-a prepare
 sudo m-a a-i alsa

> - speaker-test says it outputs to "Front left", but it actually outputs to
> both left and right.

this looks like some problem... outputting mono? :-/

open up a terminal and type:

 alsamixer

to check all the settings. Before doing that, you will want to type:

 man alsamixer

to get some usage instructions.

> - How do I disable dmix and other possible sources of signal degradation
> completely?
>
> - How do I make sure ALSA doesn't resample or normalize the signal along the
> way?
>
> - How do I test various sample rates and bit depths? How do I get ALSA to
> tell me what the device supports?

you may want to have a look here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=93315

...as well as on the related WIKIs.

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--
You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!