Re: Musical Fidelity V-DAC, usb sound

Niels wrote:
> - This is with Kubuntu 9.04. For some reason it ships with ALSA 1.0.18rc3.
> Is it worth upgrading,

Probably not, AFAIK there haven't have any relevant changes.

> and how would I do that, other that wait for an automatic update?

Download, compile and install the 1.0.20 alsa-driver package.

> - speaker-test says it outputs to "Front left", but it actually outputs to
> both left and right.

Doesn't it ever output to "front right"?  This looks like a mono mode.

What device name and number of channels did you tell speaker-test to use?

> - How do I disable dmix and other possible sources of signal degradation
> completely?

Dmix does not degrade the signal because its design requires it to run
with a sample rate and a sample format directly supported by the device.

You can disable dmix by telling your application(s) to use another
device name instead of "default".

> - How do I make sure ALSA doesn't resample or normalize the signal along the
> way?

Use a device name like "dmix" or "hw".
"default" and "plughw" include resampling, if needed.

In no case is there any normalization.

> - How do I test various sample rates and bit depths?

Play a file with the desired properties to the "hw" device.

> How do I get ALSA to tell me what the device supports?

Have a look into /proc/asound/card???/stream0.

HTH
Clemens