Musical Fidelity V-DAC, usb sound

Hi,

I bought a Musical Fidelity V-DAC, plugged it in (USB) and everything worked
out of the box. Thanks a lots devs!

- This is with Kubuntu 9.04. For some reason it ships with ALSA 1.0.18rc3.
Is it worth upgrading, and how would I do that, other that wait for an
automatic update?

- speaker-test says it outputs to "Front left", but it actually outputs to
both left and right.

- How do I disable dmix and other possible sources of signal degradation
completely?

- How do I make sure ALSA doesn't resample or normalize the signal along the
way?

- How do I test various sample rates and bit depths? How do I get ALSA to
tell me what the device supports?

Thanks,
Niels