Re: Sort of OT - frustrations with pulseaudio and need for functional, direct alsa

Am Mittwoch, 6. Mai 2009 schrieb David Feldman:
> This isn't purely an alsa question/problem, but I suspect it's not a unique
> question either...
>
> I've been doing some occasional audio application development on Ubuntu
> 7.10 using command-line alsa utilities (arecord, aplay, amixer, etc.); my
> busy schedule has occasionally put my work "on the shelf". In trying to do
> a forced upgrade cycle (Ubuntu 7 is obsolete) I've been coping
> unsuccessfully with Pulseaudio.
>
> (read more this paragraph for my tale.) I came back to this recently and
> built a fresh Ubuntu 7.10 system only to discover that it's been thoroughly
> obsoleted (to the point I can't use apt-get to pick up various applications
> and other things I typically had gathered due to mostly gone repositories.)
> I went on to Ubuntu 8 (failed due to a DMA compatibility problem with my
> disc controller as I'm using a consumer compact flash drive as mass
> storage)) then tried Ubuntu 9, and while installed OK, discovered that
> "pulseaudio" had introduced complications (such as "aplay" wouldn't work
> out-of-box as an ordinary user, nor would it output any audio playing a
> .WAV file), as well as soaking up way much CPU cycles (I am using a 500 MHz
> VIA C3 machine that had been adequate for my Ubuntu 7.10 based work, and
> I'd very much like to continue with this platform as it's power-efficient
> and well suited to the application I've got in mind.) I tried Fedora 10 and
> realized it too had Pulseaudio and similar problems. I retrieted to Fedora
> 7 (to get to a point before Pulseaudio) and that wouldn't load on my
> machine (DMA compatibility problem.)
>
> My question is this - is it practical to entirely remove a recent
> distribution's audio subsystem (alsa and pulseaudio I believe) and
> re-install alsa in some stand-alone fashion? I realize this is more of a
> how-to-build-a-distribution type question, but I'm not really sure where to
> start otherwise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

If you accept to break with your distribution's package management at some
point - of course.

You would need to compile the necessary stuff from source. The LFS guys are
doing a good job, you might take a look to their web site:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Read a bit in LFS and BLFS books as well as in the CLFS and CBLFS wikis.

Although building a system completely from sources would give you maximum
influence, it lasts several weeks (full time) before it's set up, and usually
some month for tuning or repairing this and that occasionally.
As long as you do not _really_ want to go through that procedure I suggest the
following procedure:
- pick up a moderately recent version of your favourite distribution
- install everything you like, sound stuff included (the package manager would
do so either as soon as you install any application that uses sound in some
way)
- install the development packages of (at least) glibc, libstdc++
- prevent sound related processes from starting at boot up by deleting the
links in /etc/init.d/rc*.d, /etc/rc*.d or whereever your distribution put
them to
- prevent loading of sound modules (alsa, oss, ..) by deleting them from
modules.conf, conf.modules, modules or similar somewhere in /etc,
/etc/sysconfig or similar
- fetch a fresh kernel from kernel.org (perhaps the same version you got with
your distro)
- configure the kernel for your needs but
 -- with "sound card support"
 -- without "alsa" and "oss"
Some distros include their kernel config file or allow extraction from their
kernel - would be a good starting point.
- build, install and boot the kernel
- get the sources of the sound related stuff you want: alsa packages, jack,
nas, pulseaudio (possibly not), ..
- build and install the former ones
- check that everything needed is loaded at boot up

Good luck!

Possibly you need to adjust owner, group or flags of e.g. /dev/dsp,
/dev/mixer, ..

Rem.: Of course, it is possible to integrate the above packages into your
distro's package management, but that would mean "some" extra effort.

Axel