Re: can't get gina3g working.

On Sat, 2 May 2009 20:31:11 +0200
Martin Mucha <alfonz19@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having REALLY bad times with alsa. But maybe it's just because I
> have absolutely NO knowledge with linux administration and so on.
>
> I've bought alsa compatible card. Here's installation guide
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-echo3g

Overly complicated document. Just do:

./configure --with-cards=echo3g ; make ; make install ; modprobe snd-echo3g

> I've finally managed to compile alsa-utils, alsa-lib and alsa-driver
> (not in that order), simply by following that guide. I have no idea
> what NB shortcut means but I have to run
> ./snddevices
> contrary to claim
> NB:If you are using drivers before 0.9.4 then you need to run ...
> since otherwise /dev/snd does not contain new devices.

If you are using a distro which uses udev (I'm not aware of any recent one
that doesn't) you don't have to create device nodes in /dev because udev
automatically does it for you as soon as a new device appears.

> I've inserted modules to kernel with
> modprobe snd-echo3g ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss ;
> modprobe snd-seq-oss
> and they are printed out with command
> lsmod
> so I think this is ok.

Does "dmesg" show any error ?  If it couldn't find the firmware, you forgot
to compile and install alsa-firmware.

> But when I run alsamixer (or amixer), which is
> in installation guide the next step, I'm getting message
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Use aplay -l or arecord -l to get the list of available devices.

> What's wrong?

It's likely you forgot the firmware.

--
Giuliano.