can't get gina3g working.

Hi,

I'm having REALLY bad times with alsa. But maybe it's just because I
have absolutely NO knowledge with linux administration and so on.

I've bought alsa compatible card. Here's installation guide
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-echo3g
I've finally managed to compile alsa-utils, alsa-lib and alsa-driver
(not in that order), simply by following that guide. I have no idea
what NB shortcut means but I have to run
./snddevices
contrary to claim
NB:If you are using drivers before 0.9.4 then you need to run ...
since otherwise /dev/snd does not contain new devices.

I've inserted modules to kernel with
modprobe snd-echo3g ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss ;
modprobe snd-seq-oss
and they are printed out with command
lsmod
so I think this is ok. But when I run alsamixer (or amixer), which is
in installation guide the next step, I'm getting message
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

What's wrong? Absolutely everything was ran under root privileges, running
/snddevices
again didnt help, in another forum I found recomendation, that one has
to set default card with command asoundconf, but
asoundconf list
does not print out any available card. My distribution is kubuntu
8.04.02, kernel version 2.6.24.23, system is in state after install,
which was performed with attached sound card.

This is just first step, I of course will have to install jack. I'm
just mentioning it in case this info  matters.

thanks in advance for every help.