Re: DELL SP2309W Monitor with Integrated microphone

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dell does not support Ubuntu at all, Dell just sells computers with
> Ubuntu on them and sells support contracts from Canonical. On the Dell
> forums people have specifically asked Dell about it and they basically
> say "the microphone is not linux compatible, try asking the ubuntu
> forums for help, maybe someone can figure it out"... despite the fact
> that it will let you order this monitor along with an Ubuntu computer.
>
> FWIW the microphones do not work on Mac OS X without commercial
> third-party drivers, and there have been numerous posts by Windows
> users who are having problems getting the microphones to work on
> XP/Vista as well. So I guess the mic is not totally standard usb-audio
> (if there is such a thing as standard).

Yeah, that appears to be correct.  There are a number of Ubuntu users
that have not had any success if the Dell forums are anything to go by.  I
haven't seen this difficulty with Windows, however.  The only problems that
appear to be unresolved are on W7 (beta this and that).  I have not been
successful on a VMware virtual XP on Linux, but that's not too surprising.
There is a posting on the Mac forums that indicate that the device itself
may be a re-badged Creative with an Omnivsion chipset:

Creative Labs webcam monitor
Device : 05a9:2649 OmniVision Monitor Webcam
UVC =3
Model : OA002

This was apparently from the Dell driver support.  I don't know if this
helps,but I suspect that the camera is similar to the Sony PS3 Eye because
it uses the OV538 controller chip that appears to be what that camera is
based on:

http://www.ovt.com/products/ip_detail.php?id=9

where the specs state that the chip supports audio input for full
audio/video operation.  I think the sensor is a OV2640. This jives with
what lsusb reports. There is a Creative WebCam Live! Ultra that may be the
essential camera device in a Dell form factor, but I can't get the chip
specs directly for that camera. However, this jives very well with its age,
and the Windows webcam software app that accompanies the monitor is clearly
Creative Labs software.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I'm at least reasonably sure of
the chipset and direct audio output.  I'm certainly not a device driver
developer, but willing to assist as much as I possibly can.  If one of
the many cameras that do work uses this chipset, then it may not be too
difficult to hack up a fix.

Cheers.