DELL SP2309W Monitor with Integrated microphone

I am having difficulty getting the microphone(s) going with this
monitor, and get the get the following results when I disable pulseaudio
and run arecord:

"arecord -v -f cd -D plughw:0 file.wav
Recording WAVE 'file.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
ALSA lib pcm_params.c:2135:(snd1_pcm_hw_refine_slave) Slave PCM not
usable
arecord: set_params:939: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available"

To disable p/a, I selected alsa in all sound prefs.  The ALSA webcam
driver is also selected for "sound capture".  I then did "sudo killall
pulseaudio" as well as "pulseaudio -k" for root (sudo) and normal user.

A file.wav was not created.  The same results when testing with p/a.

I have tried several fixes via googling - module loading and sound
"card" indexing via alsa.base modprobe file and LOTS
of others.  Still no luck.  I am running FC10 with pulse, but think it's
probably a snd-usb-audio problem as the driver appears to be correctly
gconf/gstreamer.  I have run thru the usb audio device classes, and all
of the reported class values reported via lsusb -v seem to correctly
correspond to possible values from the audio class parameters.  I'm now
stumped.

I also get the following errors in the gnome sound recorder:

"Could not negotiate format" followed by "Could not get/set settings
from/on resource.". This jives with the error on tesing from the sound
preference panel: "gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
gconfaudiosink profile=chat: Could not get/set settings from/on
resource."

...which does not reveal anything specific enough to track down the
problem from searching the net.

All other sound devices and services are performing correctly via
pulseaudio.  I have at one time removed p/a, but this did
not correct the problem.  I am running the webcam mic as device 0, but
changing that to any other device number fails to solve the problem.
Alsamixer shows the card "Monitor Webcam" mic, the chip "USB mixer", the
recording levels at 74, the capture enabled, and the AGC and loudness
parameters enabled, and although I have tried various combinations of
these, none have worked.

I am running version 1.0.19 of the alsa drivers, and compiled these
directly with all everything enabled as well as using the rpm builds.
Alsainfo output has been uploaded to:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=803829378929c58bcc86351c091719a12c79075e

The video portion of the camera functions entirely correctly via uvc and
v4l, but the audio listing from the video test app gucveiw does not list
the webcam mic at all under the audio device list.  The uvc dev group
sent me here, naturally.

I also tried the alsa-dev list (as did another user with the same
problem), but have not had much response.

ANY help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.