Configuring EMU 0404 PCI in Linux

Hi everybody,

 My question is meant for people who use Creative EMU0404 PCI soundcard with alsa drivers. If you have worked with it in Windows, you should know, how easy it is to manage this card with PatchMix utility. Unfortunately, there's no similar software for Linux, and I had got troubles when I decided to record some sound with this card - there are lots of parameters which can be set with amixer, but I simply don't know how to configure them right. Sound playback works very well.
 I'd appreciate if you give me any information concerning sound recording with this card.

-----
Best regards,
Jack