Re: hda-intel ad1998b troubles (front channels only)

Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei <at> list.ru> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:43:38 +0000 (UTC)
> shy_reclusive_alsa_user <ymail_user <at> ymail.com> wrote:
>
> Something is probably wrong with your distro or alsaconf version.
>
> AFAIR when I run alsaconf on my SUSE 10.3, it warns me that everything
> will be unmuted at 50% (?) level.
>
> I.e. every normal sound configuration utility whose intent is to check
> sound propagation should do the unmuting.

> Or you didn't run alsaconf - I wasn't closely following.

Many thanks, Sergei.

Well, it seems alsaconf is included in the alsa-utils tarball and you
probably have it as well in your SUSE distro.  However, I'm mainly a
Fedora/RedHat/CentOS user and for some reason they decided to replace
alsaconf with some other tool called "system-config-soundcard" a few
releases back (maybe around FC4 or FC5?).

Anyhow, I have run system-config-soundcard many times manually at the
command line and the self test seems to work fine.  As far as it being
a configuration tool, it seems fairly basic with no reference to the
various channels of any specific device.

Hmmm... maybe I should try the alsaconf from my 1.0.19 build.  That
would be another good test.

I agree with you, though.  Whatever "sound configuration utility whose
intent is to check sound propagation" you use, it should be smart enough
to do the unmuting and give a helpful message as you stated.

Thanks again!