hda-intel ad1998b troubles (front channels only)

Before I begin, let me state that I am not a driver-coding guru developer
(I wish I was/could be), but I am a long time Linux user and sys admin
who generally is able to figure out what needs to be done to get things
working.  Except this time...

To begin, I've got a two year old box with an Asus P5B Deluxe mainboard
with the dreaded Intel "High Definition Audio" (HDA) featuring the
ADI 1998B codec chip.   When I first built the system I simply disabled
the onboard sound in the BIOS since I was aware that ALSA development
hadn't caught up with that chip yet.  But recently I decided to see if
I could try to configure the onboard sound to work...and it does, but
_only_ the two _front_ channels.

My troubles lie in the fact that the front speakers reproduce mid/high
range frequencies only and I rely on a subwoofer for the low end and
that is not working.  In fact, I cannot get any channels other than
the front channels to create any output.  (This I methodically tested
by plugging the speakers into each jack and running something like:

  speaker-test --channels 8 (blah, blah...)

which cycles through all the channels using a sine wave.

I have confirmed that all the hardware are fine by booting into the
WinXP partition, installing the "SoundMAX" drivers and satellite
speakers and subwoofer work great.

I just cannot get ALSA to give me any sound out of any channels other
than the two front channels.  :(

Here is an alsa-info.txt using the stock FC8 ALSA rpms:

  http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a22f8dfb12f5dc8869e9b0e6a0fd758652838210

I also downloaded, compiled and installed the most recent ALSA 1.0.19
driver, libs and utils with the same results: front channels only.

I've googled all over everything, searched the alsa.users and alsa.devel
mailing lists, read all the docs, even looked over some of the source
code for clues and I am stymied.

I haven't come across any posts by others describing my situation, so
I'm beginning to think this could be just a simple configuration issue
that I've missed.  (Either that or ALSA still hasn't caught up with this
chip yet, but from what I've seen/read I don't believe that is the case.)

This has to be a simple configuration issue.  Or maybe not so simple:
maybe I need to craft a fancy, complicated .asoundrc file?  I don't
know...  Actually, I moved my existing .asoundrc out of the way and
replaced it with a simple one.  Later, I moved it completely out of
the way (i.e., no .asoundrc).  Presence/absence of .asoundrc had no
effect.

I _rarely_ ever post _anywhere_ asking for help, but this time I am
stymied, frustrated and desparate.  To give you an idea, you wouldn't
imagine the relief I felt last night when I booted Windows and it worked.
That was a desparate last resort after working on this problem for the
past few weeks.  Good Lord, you know I had to be desparate to try that!  ;)

Anyway, thanks for listening and I will definitely appreciate any
feedback.  (Takashi, you out there?)