Re: hda-intel ad1998b troubles (front channels only)

shy_reclusive_alsa_user wrote:
> Before I begin, let me state that I am not a driver-coding guru developer
> (I wish I was/could be), but I am a long time Linux user and sys admin
> who generally is able to figure out what needs to be done to get things
> working.  Except this time...

I know exactly how you feel. I had nearly an exact problem with another
card in alsa.  After many hours of messing around I was convinced it was
not a config problem but a driver bug. What I did was to install the
newest version of fedora (10) on another machine to see if that fixed
anything.  That fixed my problem. (kinda like chopping off your head to
rid a headache) but it worked.
Looks like you already have the newest alsa stuff.. I am quite confused
with the linux sound system as well , but after looking at your mixer
settings, it seems you have some surround channels muted:

Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 35 [90%] [-6.00dB] [off]    <-----  muted
  Front Right: Playback 34 [87%] [-7.50dB] [off]   <-----  muted

Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono: Playback 35 [90%] [-6.00dB] [off]          <------- muted
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono: Playback 34 [87%] [-7.50dB] [off]          <-------- muted
Simple mixer control 'Side',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 34 [87%] [-7.50dB] [off]     <-------- muted
  Front Right: Playback 34 [87%] [-7.50dB] [off]    <-------- muted

I cant promise if this will help, but turn those on in the mixer.

Stan