Re: hda-intel ad1998b troubles (front channels only)

James Le Cuirot <chewi <at> aura-online.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:26:33 +0000 (UTC)
> shy_reclusive_alsa_user <ymail_user <at> ymail.com> wrote:
>
> > speaker-test --channels 8 (blah, blah...)
>
> I've only posted to this list once but I have a suggestion for you.
> What is this blah blah stuff? ;) You need to specify the device name
> when doing surround. For 8 channels, I guess you want -Dsurround71.

Thank you, James.  Very kind of you to respond to my post.  I will try
your suggestion.  I figured it had to be something _simple_ I was overlooking.

The "blah blah" stuff is because I'm not sitting in front of the box
right now.  Sorry about that; not trying to be a smartass.  I know it's
frowned upon to post and not provide relevant details.  ;)

For the speaker-test runs I was using something like:

  speaker-test --device hw0 --channels 8 --rate 48000 --test sine --frequency 180

for the actual hardware device, but its sounds like I need to go through
some kind of ALSA plugin which will enable multi-channel access?  It had
occurred to me that I might need to do something special somehow using
some kind of "surround" syntax or something, but I think I must have been
trying to access the hardware device directly which it sounds like are
telling me is incorrect.

For example, to listen on xmms I need to manually configure the ALSA
driver to use "plughw0" (or something like that) for the two front
channels.  It sounds to me like you are telling me I need to try
something like "plugsurround71" in that case?

Many thanks!