Re: maybe this is why I can't get digital output

I'm having a problem with ALC883 where when recording with arecord or
ecasound there is an annoying clicking sound in the recording.  There
is no dropping out of any sound though.  Also, the recording works
fine when recording with krecord or audacity which I think are both
recording to memory rather than disk.  Can either of you try to record
something with your chipsets to see if there is some clicking sound?
I imagine that there are a small subset of people who have both a
ALC88x chipset AND are trying to record things AND use linux.  I think
that subset is me.  I'd like to try to rule out some other problem
with my setup (this is a new computer with a manually configured
kernel).

Please see my message "Clicking sound on recording Realtek ALC888".

--Dave

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Jim Cuzella <TrinitronX@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David McCloskey wrote:
>> That's just a warning.  Usually it will be working after that warning.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.pdf
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM, James <bjlockie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

> Have you tried messing with alsamixer's settings?  Perhaps your S/PDIF
> output was muted somehow?  Look for something like: "IEC958" in
> alsamixer, and unmute it with "m".  If you have multiple sound cards,
> you may need to specify which one to control with "alsamixer -c N" where
> N is your card's number.  If in doubt, guess and check which card is
> shown at the top.  Also try playing with the "speaker-test" program to
> see if your output is coming out.
>
> On another note, it looks like you've got an ALC883?  According to my
> searches, this chip looks like it supports a feature called "Jack
> Re-tasking".  I have a Gigabyte motherboard with an HDA ATI onboard
> sound card.  It also has a Realtek chipset (ALC888).  I've been trying
> to get 4 channel sound out of it by re-tasking one of the front panel
> microphone & headphone jacks.  So far I don't know if the snd-hda-intel
> drivers support this feature on our chips.
>
> Have you had any luck with >2 channel output on the analog jacks?
>
> P.S.: For more information and details on my question, see my message
> entitled "4/5.1/7.1 audio on Realtek ALC880 possible through jack
> retasking?"
>
> Cheers,
> - Jim C.

Dave McCloskey