Re: maybe this is why I can't get digital output

David McCloskey wrote:
> I'm having a problem with ALC883 where when recording with arecord or
> ecasound there is an annoying clicking sound in the recording.  There
> is no dropping out of any sound though.  Also, the recording works
> fine when recording with krecord or audacity which I think are both
> recording to memory rather than disk.  Can either of you try to record
> something with your chipsets to see if there is some clicking sound?
> I imagine that there are a small subset of people who have both a
> ALC88x chipset AND are trying to record things AND use linux.  I think
> that subset is me.  I'd like to try to rule out some other problem
> with my setup (this is a new computer with a manually configured
> kernel).
>
> Please see my message "Clicking sound on recording Realtek ALC888".
>
> --Dave

David,

I have tried some recording through arecord using various sampling rates
& alsamixer settings.  It seems with mic boost >=66.6%, I hear the same
clicking sound.  This is on mythbuntu 8.10 using alsa-base package
version 1.0.17-dfsg-2ubuntu1.  The same behavior is seen in audacity,
clicking gone!  Of course, with boost down, the clicking is there but
not as noticeable since it is not amplified.

When recording from audio in with arecord, I hear the same thing.  Guess
we may have found a legitimate bug here.

- Jim C.