Re: maybe this is why I can't get digital output

David McCloskey wrote:
> That's just a warning.  Usually it will be working after that warning.
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/docs/HD-Audio.pdf
>
> Dave
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM, James <bjlockie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

Have you tried messing with alsamixer's settings?  Perhaps your S/PDIF
output was muted somehow?  Look for something like: "IEC958" in
alsamixer, and unmute it with "m".  If you have multiple sound cards,
you may need to specify which one to control with "alsamixer -c N" where
N is your card's number.  If in doubt, guess and check which card is
shown at the top.  Also try playing with the "speaker-test" program to
see if your output is coming out.

On another note, it looks like you've got an ALC883?  According to my
searches, this chip looks like it supports a feature called "Jack
Re-tasking".  I have a Gigabyte motherboard with an HDA ATI onboard
sound card.  It also has a Realtek chipset (ALC888).  I've been trying
to get 4 channel sound out of it by re-tasking one of the front panel
microphone & headphone jacks.  So far I don't know if the snd-hda-intel
drivers support this feature on our chips.

Have you had any luck with >2 channel output on the analog jacks?

P.S.: For more information and details on my question, see my message
entitled "4/5.1/7.1 audio on Realtek ALC880 possible through jack
retasking?"

Cheers,
- Jim C.