Re: Using the 'multi' plugin

On Fri, 2008-28-11 at 12:46 -0200, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva wrote:
> Val, with this .asoundrc file I could make my M-Audio Fast Track Pro work (see my post on this list one week ago) with two simultaneous and independent stereo channels.

Thanks, Rodrigo. The way you use the 'multi' plugin to split your
incoming 4 channel stream into two 2-channel streams is in principle
very similar to what I am doing, so this validates the fact that it
*should* work for me. In my approach I create a 4-channel stream by
copying the original 2 channels to channels 3 and 4, but after that it
is very similar...

I have a bit more info to work with at this point. Last night I talked
to a person on #alsa IRC channel, who was kind enough to take my config
and run it on their 2-card setup. And it worked! Now this is really
frustrating. It appears that I have a correct config that just refuses
to work on specifically my Audiophile 2496 card. Take a look at the
these 'aplay -v' printouts:

"aplay -v -Dboth test.wav" on my system. This runs but produces sound
only on the nforce card:
http://pastebin.com/m480d1b01

"aplay -v -Dboth test.wav" on IRC persons's system. This runs and
produces sound on both cards!
http://pastebin.com/d4bd6f77c

"aplay -v -Daudiophile test.wav" on my system. Runs and produces sound:
http://pastebin.com/m5eae7520

I don't see any important differences between the working and not
working cases.

Could this *possibly* be an ALSA bug that might be fixed by an upgrade?
The person from IRC had the latest alsa libs and drivers, whereas I
have:
Driver version:     1.0.14rc1
Library version:    1.0.13
Utilities version:  1.0.13