Re: Dell studio 1535 (HDA-Intel 82801H ICH8 Family)

On Friday 28 November 2008 18:48, eial@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've installed alsa 1.0.18, the card is configured but still no sound is
> out of the speakers....
>
> how can I fix it?
>

> here is a dmesg output:
> HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
> HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64
> input: HDA Digital PCBeep as /class/input/input11
> input: HDA Intel at 0xf6ffc000 irq 21 Mic at Ext Left Jack as
> /class/input/input12 input: HDA Intel at 0xf6ffc000 irq 21 HP Out at Ext
> Left Jack as /class/input/input13 input: HDA Intel at 0xf6ffc000 irq 21 HP
> Out at Ext Left Jack as /class/input/input14 HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: PCI
> INT B -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17 HDA Intel 0000:01:00.1: setting
> latency timer to 64
> usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
>
> please help, this is getting ridicules

A bit of info please, to get the ball rolling.

Is that the 1.0.18 alsadriver, or the 1.0.18a one you have installed?

Which distro are you using, and which desktop (KDE, Gnome)

The ouput of the commands as below.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
lsmod | grep snd       (may be /sbin/lsmod, depending on your distro)
lspci -vn          (may be /sbin/lspci -vn, and just the bit for the
soundcard)
grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*

Open alsamixer on the CLI (Gnomes terminal, or KDE's Konsole), and check for
muted controls (the M key toggles mute/unmute), and also that sliders like
Master, PCM, Front, and CD are up.

If your distro has Pulseaudio installed, you may just see one slider. If that
is the case, close alsamixer using the ESC key, and reopen alsamixer as below
to view all the controls

alsamixer -D hw:0

Some things plugged into the USB (usb midi keyboards, webcams, with mics, etc)
can also create problems, and again depending on your distro. The USB is
started early in the boot process, and you can find that the USB device has
grabbed card0, and the actual soundcard which defaults to card0, can no
longer use it. There's an easy fix if that is the problem.

That's enough for the moment. Post back, and we'll see how things go.

Nigel.