Noob question: Predefined ALSA interfaces?

Hello.

I've been studying alsa for a couple of days now, but I still have a few
nagging questions I would like answered.

I still don't understand how predefined aliases work. For example, let's
take spdif definitions in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf:

pcm.iec958 cards.pcm.iec958
pcm.spdif cards.pcm.iec958

These don't seem to lead anywhere as far as I can see. Where is
'cards.pcm.iec958' defined?

Here is my sound card:
val@boss:~$ aplay -l
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi
[ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

What exactly is the difference in how these two commands are handled?
 aplay -Dhw:0,0 dts_test.wav (Hissing coming from speakers)
and
 aplay -Dspdif dts_test.wav (Receiver clicks, switching to DTS and
plays)

Is 'cards.pcm.iec958' some sort of an internal predefined interface that
means something to ALSA so it knows that the incoming stream is not to
be processed as PCM, but rather just dumped into the sound card 'as is'?
If so, where can I see these "magically" defined interfaces? Thanks.

Val