Re: Realtek High Definition Audio and Fedora 9

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Thursday 20 November 2008 15:18, GN wrote:
Nigel Henry wrote:
On Wednesday 19 November 2008 13:41, GN wrote:
Hi,

I cannot get sound to work on my Medion MD96420 laptop. According to
Vista the card is a Realtek High Definition Audio card. Maker Realtek
Semiconductor Corp.. Driver Version (for Vista) 6.0.1.5523. Two of them
are listed, one at Location 2 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus) and
Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus).

Under Fedora 9 the audio card is listed as Intel Corp.82801H (ICH
Family) HD Audio Controller (Rev. 03)

Works fine under Vista but absolutely nothing under Fedora 9. I tried to
build the Linux driver from the realtek site (LinuxPkg_5.07.tar.bz2
which unpacks to realtek-linux-audiopack-5.07) but it fails complaining
about needing curses. I have all the ncurses RPMs installed. I have had
no response from the Realtek support people about this.

I tried building the drivers from the latest alsa-drivers tarball. All
went OK and installed without error. Again nothing...

The main problem I see is that there is no way to start the sound
server. There is no option in the sound preferences utility as described
in the help file for it. See attachment. System > Administration >
Services had alsasound and alsasound.new. Both showed as running but not
enabled. I enabled both but didn't help. Re-booted, still no sound. The
ALSA driver is running according to the alsasound script.

/sbin/lsmod | grep snd gives the following:

[graeme@flintstone Download]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel         376568  0
snd_seq_dummy           6788  0
snd_seq_oss            30748  0
snd_seq_midi_event      9728  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                45604  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq_device 10124 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            36640  0
snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                63108  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              21128  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11656  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_hda_intel
snd                    47032  10
snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_o
ss, snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore 9288 1 snd
[graeme@flintstone Download]$

Perhaps pulseaudio needs to be stopped. but I cannot see how to do that
at the moment. Clicking on the  Volume Control in the panel elicits "No
volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" Opening the
pulseaudio volume control shows "no streams, no sinks and no sources
available" Got me stumped!

I have the following alsa rpms installed as well as the alsa-driver
tarball I installed yesterday:

[graeme@flintstone utils]$ rpm -qa  | grep alsa
bluez-utils-alsa-3.32-1.fc9.i386
alsa-oss-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.16-4.fc9.i386
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
alsa-oss-libs-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
alsa-lib-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
[graeme@flintstone utils]$

Has anybody managed to get this sound card working? All help
appreciated.
Hi. Can you post a bit of output please.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0

If the card is shown as card0, open alsamixer as user on a terminal, as
below. alsamixer -D hw:0

This will show all the playback controls. There may be something muted (M
key toggles mute/unmute), or some sliders may need pushing up. The main
ones would be Master, PCM, and Front, along with the CD one if you are
trying sounds with a music cd.

You may need to set a model option for snd-hda-intel in
/etc/modprobe.conf, as below.
options snd-hda-intel model=medion

Then reboot, and check alsamixer again.

Just some suggestions.

Nigel.
Hi Nigel,

Thank you.

There are no sound cards recognised, and I don't understand why. See
following;

[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
--- no soundcards ---
[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18a.
Compiled on Nov 18 2008 for kernel 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 (SMP).
[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
cat: /proc/asound/card0/codec#0: No such file or directory
[graeme@flintstone ~]$

Is there something really basic I'm missing?

Hi Graeme.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you very much for your help to date. I am much further along today because of it.

I see that on your original post here, that you say Vista identified 2 instances, and I have seen this before where the soundcard uses snd-hda-intel, and a sound component in the graphics card also uses snd-hda-intel (HDMI I think).

As your lsmod line for snd-hda-intel shows that nothing is using it, signified by the "0" at the end of the line, how about removing the module, and re-installing it. Do an su to root on the CLI (terminal), and run the commands below.
rmmod snd-hda-intel
modprobe snd-hda-intel

No errors with the above commands.

If rmmod complains, use modprobe -r snd-hda-intel

Then run, cat /proc/asound/cards again.

OK. I added the line you suggested to /etc/modprobe.conf and it was the factor that got me to the point where I am at now.

The following now shows up for the three commands you asked me to do;

[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfc200000 irq 22
[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18a.
Compiled on Nov 18 2008 for kernel 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 (SMP).
[graeme@flintstone ~]$

The output for cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 is attached as it is large.

Can you post the output of /sbin/lspci -vv as well. Post the whole lot, as we can trim it on the reply.

It is also attached.

Did you by the way try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf?
options snd-hda-intel model=medion

Yes. This got me to where I am currently. I now have the the panel volume controls working but I am still not able to get any audio out of the machine.

alsamixer and amixer still do not work. See following;

[graeme@flintstone ~]$ amixer
ALSA lib simple_none.c:1491:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Headphone Playback Switch',0,2,0) appears twice or more
amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument
[graeme@flintstone ~]$ alsamixer
ALSA lib simple_none.c:1491:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Headphone Playback Switch',0,2,0) appears twice or more

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
[graeme@flintstone ~]$

I may be running out of suggestions, but your info provided, may bring others in on helping to resolve your problem.

You have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it. I now think we are close to getting it working.

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)