Re: Realtek High Definition Audio and Fedora 9

Nigel Henry wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I tried building the drivers from the latest alsa-drivers tarball. All
>> went OK and installed without error. Again nothing...
>>
>> The main problem I see is that there is no way to start the sound
>> server. There is no option in the sound preferences utility as described
>> in the help file for it. See attachment. System > Administration >
>> Services had alsasound and alsasound.new. Both showed as running but not
>> enabled. I enabled both but didn't help. Re-booted, still no sound. The
>> ALSA driver is running according to the alsasound script.
>>
>> /sbin/lsmod | grep snd gives the following:
>>
>> [graeme@flintstone Download]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
>> snd_hda_intel         376568  0
>> snd_seq_dummy           6788  0
>> snd_seq_oss            30748  0
>> snd_seq_midi_event      9728  1 snd_seq_oss
>> snd_seq                45604  5
>> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq_device         10124
>> 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
>> snd_pcm_oss            36640  0
>> snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
>> snd_pcm                63108  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
>> snd_timer              21128  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
>> snd_page_alloc         11656  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
>> snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_hda_intel
>> snd                    47032  10
>> snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,
>> snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore               9288  1
>> snd
>> [graeme@flintstone Download]$
>>

>> Perhaps pulseaudio needs to be stopped. but I cannot see how to do that
>> at the moment. Clicking on the  Volume Control in the panel elicits "No
>> volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" Opening the
>> pulseaudio volume control shows "no streams, no sinks and no sources
>> available" Got me stumped!
>>
>> I have the following alsa rpms installed as well as the alsa-driver
>> tarball I installed yesterday:
>>
>> [graeme@flintstone utils]$ rpm -qa  | grep alsa
>> bluez-utils-alsa-3.32-1.fc9.i386
>> alsa-oss-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
>> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.16-4.fc9.i386
>> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
>> alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
>> alsa-oss-libs-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
>> alsa-lib-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
>> [graeme@flintstone utils]$
>>
>> Has anybody managed to get this sound card working? All help appreciated.
>
> Hi. Can you post a bit of output please.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> cat /proc/asound/version
> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
>
> If the card is shown as card0, open alsamixer as user on a terminal, as below.
> alsamixer -D hw:0
>
> This will show all the playback controls. There may be something muted (M key
> toggles mute/unmute), or some sliders may need pushing up. The main ones
> would be Master, PCM, and Front, along with the CD one if you are trying
> sounds with a music cd.
>
> You may need to set a model option for snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.conf, as

Hi Nigel,

Thank you.

There are no sound cards recognised, and I don't understand why. See
following;

[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
--- no soundcards ---
[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18a.
Compiled on Nov 18 2008 for kernel 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 (SMP).
[graeme@flintstone ~]$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
cat: /proc/asound/card0/codec#0: No such file or directory
[graeme@flintstone ~]$

Is there something really basic I'm missing?

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)