No HDMI output on ALC1200

I'm trying to get HDMI audio working on a ALC1200 integrated audio card on an Asus P5Q-EM motherboard (Intel G45 chipset).

I notice there is a lot of ongoing work on this chipset at the moment, but from what I gather, it should work.  Because of this, I made sure to try the latest code, both 1.0.18 and 1.0.18a.

There's some differences in how it shows up.  In 1.0.18, I see an "hdmi" alias in aplay -L.  In 1.0.18a, it doesn't show up in alias but instead as a third device in aplay -l.  In both situations, I try to play a wav with aplay -D and get no errors, but I hear nothing as well.

I made sure to unmute the IEC958 devices I can see in alsamixer.  I've read the DigitalOut wiki page which suggest setting it to "PCM Out", but I don't see that as an option in amixer or alsamixer.

I have also testing the computer in Windows, just to confirm that the HDMI out works.

I am eager to get this going and I'll be happy to provide any additonal information necessary.  I've found and run one data-gathering script, the results of which are here:
http://pastebin.ca/1262017

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced.

Chris Pimlott