Re: Realtek High Definition Audio and Fedora 9

On Thursday 20 November 2008 15:18, GN wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 November 2008 13:41, GN wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I cannot get sound to work on my Medion MD96420 laptop. According to
> >> Vista the card is a Realtek High Definition Audio card. Maker Realtek
> >> Semiconductor Corp.. Driver Version (for Vista) 6.0.1.5523. Two of them
> >> are listed, one at Location 2 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus) and
> >> Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus).
> >>
> >> Under Fedora 9 the audio card is listed as Intel Corp.82801H (ICH
> >> Family) HD Audio Controller (Rev. 03)
> >>
> >> Works fine under Vista but absolutely nothing under Fedora 9. I tried to
> >> build the Linux driver from the realtek site (LinuxPkg_5.07.tar.bz2
> >> which unpacks to realtek-linux-audiopack-5.07) but it fails complaining
> >> about needing curses. I have all the ncurses RPMs installed. I have had
> >> no response from the Realtek support people about this.
> >>
> >> I tried building the drivers from the latest alsa-drivers tarball. All
> >> went OK and installed without error. Again nothing...
> >>
> >> The main problem I see is that there is no way to start the sound
> >> server. There is no option in the sound preferences utility as described
> >> in the help file for it. See attachment. System > Administration >
> >> Services had alsasound and alsasound.new. Both showed as running but not
> >> enabled. I enabled both but didn't help. Re-booted, still no sound. The
> >> ALSA driver is running according to the alsasound script.
> >>
> >> /sbin/lsmod | grep snd gives the following:
> >>
> >> [graeme@flintstone Download]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
> >> snd_hda_intel         376568  0
> >> snd_seq_dummy           6788  0
> >> snd_seq_oss            30748  0
> >> snd_seq_midi_event      9728  1 snd_seq_oss
> >> snd_seq                45604  5
> >> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq_device
> >> 10124 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> >> snd_pcm_oss            36640  0
> >> snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
> >> snd_pcm                63108  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> >> snd_timer              21128  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> >> snd_page_alloc         11656  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> >> snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_hda_intel
> >> snd                    47032  10
> >> snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_o
> >>ss, snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore
> >> 9288  1 snd
> >> [graeme@flintstone Download]$
> >>

> >> Perhaps pulseaudio needs to be stopped. but I cannot see how to do that
> >> at the moment. Clicking on the  Volume Control in the panel elicits "No
> >> volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" Opening the
> >> pulseaudio volume control shows "no streams, no sinks and no sources
> >> available" Got me stumped!
> >>
> >> I have the following alsa rpms installed as well as the alsa-driver
> >> tarball I installed yesterday:
> >>
> >> [graeme@flintstone utils]$ rpm -qa  | grep alsa
> >> bluez-utils-alsa-3.32-1.fc9.i386
> >> alsa-oss-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
> [...]

Hi Graeme.

I see that on your original post here, that you say Vista identified 2
instances, and I have seen this before where the soundcard uses
snd-hda-intel, and a sound component in the graphics card also uses
snd-hda-intel (HDMI I think).

As your lsmod line for snd-hda-intel shows that nothing is using it, signified
by the "0" at the end of the line, how about removing the module, and
re-installing it. Do an su to root on the CLI (terminal), and run the
commands below.
rmmod snd-hda-intel
modprobe snd-hda-intel

If rmmod complains, use modprobe -r snd-hda-intel

Then run, cat /proc/asound/cards again.

Can you post the output of /sbin/lspci -vv as well. Post the whole lot, as we
can trim it on the reply.

Did you by the way try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf?
options snd-hda-intel model=medion

I may be running out of suggestions, but your info provided, may bring others
in on helping to resolve your problem.

Nigel.